What is BMI? How is it calculated?
BMI is a measure of body fat that shows the ideal weight of each individual according to the body’s height and weight ratio. This value varies according to gender and age. Obesity, which is now increasing due to the popularity of sedentary life and the consumption of fast food, can be diagnosed especially by the BMI value. Although not directly linked to health, this value is extremely important for determining the health conditions of individuals who suffer from obesity.
BMI limits are divided into groups like children, women, and men, as they can vary by age and gender.
BMI Chart For Kids?
Since the development of children progresses much faster than adults, it cannot be expected that every age has the same BMI ratio. BMI table for their children:
|Age of the child||Extremely thin||Underweight||Normal weight||Obesity||Severe obesity|
|8||BMI up to 8.8||8.9< BMI <13.2||13.3< BMI <15.9||16< BMI <18.8||18.9< BMI|
|9||BMI up to 9||9.1< BMI <13.4||13.5< BMI <16.4||16.5< BMI <19.7||19.8< BMI|
|10||BMI up to 8.8||8.9< BMI <14.2||14.3< BMI <16.9||17< BMI <20.6||20.07< BMI|
|11||BMI up to 8||8 <BMI< 14.6||14.7< BMI <17.7||17.8< BMI <20.08||21< BMI|
|12||BMI up to 14.8||14.9 <BMI< 16||16.1< BMI <18.4||18.5< BMI <21.5||21.6< BMI|
|BMI||Less than 18.5||18.5 < BMI < 24.9||25 < BMI < 29.9||BMI < 30|
What Does BMI Mean
BMI measurement is extremely important for determining your health status, especially for people who are overweight and at risk of being obese. BMI table for men:
- BMI less than 18.5 is too low. Individuals should pick up on a diet rich in protein and carbohydrates.
- BMI between 18.5 and 24.9 is normal.
- BMI between 25 and 29.9 means you have almost 5 to 10 kilos of excess weight, which you can easily get rid of with a proper nutrition program.
- BMI more than 29; You are dealing with obesity. Morbid obesity means that if you do not pay attention to more weight gain, it will knock on your door and you should immediately consult a dietitian.
What Is the BMI of a Healthy Person?
A normal BMI value does not necessarily mean that an individual is healthy. Likewise, having an abnormal BMI value is not necessarily a sign of any serious disease. However, this calculated value has a guiding role whether people have health problems or not.
A healthy BMI range for men and women is considered to be between 18.5 and 24.9. The higher your BMI, the higher your risk of obesity. In children, this range, which may vary depending on age, can be accepted between 16.0 and 18.0 on average.
How to Calculate BMI?
There are different methods you can use to calculate BMI. The first of these methods is to have your BMI calculated by a doctor. Your doctor will easily find and evaluateyour average BMI with a kind of precision scale.
The other way, which you can do it yourself is by calculating your BMI with the help of a BMI calculator. However, these sites make a general assessment and it is not certain that they will give accurate results.
You can also apply the BMI formula yourself to find out your BMI value. This formula is:
Your body weight/height
The result can be between 15 and 45 regardless of your age and gender.
Am I Obese?
As you’ve read in this article, groups within the BMI classification are underweight, normal weight, overweight, and obese groups. In this classification, each value represents a different meaning. A small part of the table covers the ratio of normal and thin people, while a large part indicates obesity.
Which BMI value is considered obese?
- People with a BMI between 30.0 and 34.9: Grade 1 obesity. In this state, you can regulate your health with a suitable diet program and exercise plan.
- Individuals with a BMI between 35.0 and 39.9: Grade 2 obesity. The person may prefer diet programs and bariatric surgery. It is important to stop weight gain.
- People with a BMI between 40.0 and 45: Grade 3 obesity. This condition is life-threatening and requires individuals to lose weight as soon as possible.
- 45 < BMI: Grade 4 obesity. In this stage, sometimes Obesity surgery is inevitable for these people.
If your BMI is over 35 and your weight loss efforts are ineffective, you can contact our surgeon 🙂