Closed or Laparoscopic Stomach Surgery
Closed stomach surgery is a laparoscopic procedure that does not need large open wounds to see internal organs and perform the operation. Laparoscopic stomach surgery offers advantages for both the doctor and the patient. Today, almost all stomach reduction surgeries are performed with this method.
What is Laparoscopic Surgery?
During a laparoscopic operation, surgeons use special instruments and create mini incisions. This procedure takes its name from the laparoscope, a thin special instrument with a small camera and light at the tip.
During the procedure, the laparoscope is inserted into the abdomen through a small incision. It provides an image to the monitor to which it is connected with the help of the light and camera at the end of the device. The surgery is also performed by following this monitor.
Preparation Before Laparoscopic Stomach Surgery
Before bariatric surgery, people need to prepare themselves for various issues;
- You should start an exercise and diet program before surgery. You should be fed with as much liquid as possible on the day of your surgery and before.
- You should stop consuming alcohol, caffeinated drinks, and similar drinks one month before the surgery.
- If possible, you should attend lifestyle training. You can learn the necessary motivation and the steps to take.
How is Closed Stomach Surgery Performed?
The steps applied in performing closed stomach surgery are as follows;
- The type of anesthesia used in closed stomach surgeries is general anesthesia. First, the person is put to sleep with the appropriate dose. Thus, he does not feel anything during the operation.
- Depending on the operation, 3 to 5 mini incisions are made on the abdomen of the person. The size of these incisions is 1 cm or less than 1 cm.
- A laparoscope is inserted into one of the opened incisions. Thus, the surgery spot will be recognized.
- In addition, other instruments are inserted into the abdomen from the appropriate place of the other incisions, depending on your type of surgery.
- Your stomach surgery is completed using a monitor.
Considerations Before and After Laparoscopic Stomach Surgery
Points to consider before laparoscopic stomach surgery;
- Before the operation, you should prepare a mini bag for yourself and put the things you think you need.
- You should forget your doubts about the surgery and believe that this surgery is a good chance for your life.
- In order to prepare your intestines, you must comply with the liquid diet given to you by your doctor.
What you should pay attention to after the operation;
- During laparoscopy, CO2 is given to the abdomen to keep the abdomen swollen. Because of this, you may experience shoulder pain after surgery.
- You should not forget why you had this surgery. You will be waiting for a difficult process after the surgery. Consider what motivates you throughout the whole process.
Differences of Closed Stomach Surgery Compared to Open Surgery
There are two main types of surgeries; open and closed. There are serious differences between the two surgeries:
- The incision made in open surgery is quite large. Therefore, after the surgery, the person is exposed to many complications and pain caused because of the incisions.
- In closed surgery, the incisions are small and few. Wounds heal faster after surgery.
- After open surgery, a large scar remains on the person’s body. It may not be possible to completely remove this.
- In the closed surgery type, the incisions are less than 1 cm. For this reason, the probability of scarring is much less, and the remaining traces are much smaller.
- The risk of complications is much higher in open surgery. Closed surgery is a much safer procedure than open surgery.
Patients Who Have Had Laparoscopic Stomach Surgery
Considering the experiences of people who have had closed stomach surgery before, the points you should pay attention to are:
- Since the number of incisions is much less in laparoscopic surgery, the recovery period is shorter. Moving after stomach surgery is one of the most important activities.
- The risk of complications after laparoscopic surgery will face is much less.