Obalon Gastric Balloon
The Obalon gastric balloon is a type of balloon used for the treatment of obesity. As I’ve mentioned before in the guide about gastric balloon procedures, people who do not have very severe obesity do not need to undergo invasive types of bariatric surgery. Instead, having gastric balloons temporarily in their bodies helps them lose weight.
Patients who manage to lose weight consistently with gastric balloons lose about 50% to 60% of their excess weight. Gastric balloons have different types and the Obalon gastric balloon is one of the most popular ones. Let’s take a closer look at its features, the operation time, for how long it should stay in your body, how it is removed, and patient qualifications.
What Is Obalon Gastric Balloon?
It is a weight-loss method that includes the placement of 3 different gastric balloons placed in the patient’s stomach. These balloons, which are placed in the stomach of overweight patients, fill approximately ¾ of the stomach. As a result, you will feel full in a short time and reduce the portions you consume.
The main purpose of this procedure is to reduce your meal portions and adopt healthier habits with the help of intragastric balloons within a certain period of time. Balloons do not reduce or eliminate the calories of the food you consume.
Obalon Gastric Balloon Content
The content of the Obalon gastric balloon mainly consists of gelatin capsule and gas, both of which are harmless to your stomach. After you swallow the balloon, the balloon is inflated with gas using endoscopic methods.
Is Obalon Gastric Balloon FDA Approved?
Obalon gastric balloon got FDA approval in 2016 and still is accepted as FDA approved. The FDA certificate, which is based in the USA, is one of the important documents stating that the process is reliable. In addition, the Obalon gastric balloon procedure has CE approval.
How to Place the Balloons?
Obalon gastric balloon is placed in your body by swallowing. The steps of this procedure are as follows;
- The procedure required no anesthesia. The patient sits on a chair or in an appropriate area.
- You will need to swallow the balloon with the catheter attached to you. You’ll swallow the gel capsule with the help of a glass of water while your doctor holds the catheter with the tip out.
- After you swallow your capsule, an ultrasound examination is done to check your stomach and make sure the capsule reaches it.
- Then, the pill is filled with gas with the help of the catheter, which is kept outside your body.
- When the gas filling process is completed, the doctor removes the catheter and you can continue your daily life as soon as the process is finished.
Your second balloon is placed approximately 1 month after insertion of the first balloon, and your third, or the last one is placed approximately 2-3 months after the second one.
The Operation Time
The Obalon gastric Balloon operation time is approximately 10 minutes. However, since placing a single balloon is not enough, you will spend an average of 30 minutes for all your operations in total.
The biggest advantage of this operation is that you do not need to rest in the hospital at all. When the operation is completed, you will be discharged and get back to your life.
How Many Months Should the Balloons Stay in My Stomach?
The minimum duration for this procedure is 6 months. However, this period starts from the placement of the first balloon. In other words, your first balloon will stay in your stomach for 6 months, your second balloon will stay in your stomach for 5 months, and your third balloon will stay in your stomach for about 3 months.
How to Remove the Obalon Gastric Balloon?
The balloon is not disposed of naturally. So, when the treatment period comes to its end, patients should go to the hospital and where a bariatric doctor removes the balloon using endoscopic methods.
Obalon Gastric Balloon Requirements
To be qualified for Obalon gastric balloons, you must have the following conditions:
- If you have tried to lose weight with exercise and diet before but have not seen any results, you may prefer it. However, it is not a method you can try if you have performed any type of bariatric surgery before and it was unsuccessful.
- Your BMI should be between 30 and 40. Extremely obese patients cannot experience the expected weight loss with this method.
- You must be at least 22 years old. Patients younger than 22 are not recommended to perform this procedure.
- You need to be open to making serious changes in your eating habits and lifestyle. Although the balloon will remain in your stomach for only 6 months, the treatment program determined is for 12 months. You should be committed to the entire treatment program.
If you have any questions about gastric balloon procedures in Turkey, just click on the link or contact us! Good luck 🙂